The best way to add a lot of flavor to meat is to cook it in a smoker, but commercial smokers can cost hundreds of dollars. Luckily, there are many types, styles and ways to build your own smoker without spending a lot of money. All you need are the right materials and just a little bit of know-how.
Here are 10 different DIY smokers that you can make at home.
1. Make a meat smoker out of a clay pot
(DIY instructions at Mother Earth News)
2. Build a smoker on the cheap using a trash can
(DIY instructions at Cruftbox)
3. Use a 55-gallon drum to build a BBQ barrel smoker
(DIY instructions at Instructables)
4. Turn an old whiskey barrel into fully functional charcoal BBQ smoker
(More details at The Smoke Ring)
5. Using wood pallets you can make this simple smoker for less than $100
(DIY instructions at DIY Ready)